Thursday, December 11, 2008

More, Please

I read that yesterday was "A Day without Gays." It's a great idea. One that should be expanded upon. Can we please have "A Year without Queers"?

Update: A few weeks ago, my seventeen-year-old son got an email from an acquaintance whose sole purpose in sending it was to announce that he is now "openly gay." I find these sorts of mass-mailing confessions to be more than a little strange. It's hard for me to understand the rationale of such declarations of intimate inclinations to the world. I mean, who sends an email to their entire address book to announce that he and his wife have decided to become swingers? It's too much information, and we just don't want to know. Everyone seems to know this, almost instinctively. So how come homosexuals get a pass when they want everyone to know their sexual issues? They want sodomy laws overturned, arguing for a right to privacy in the bedroom, thereby acknowledging that personal sexuality is not a suitable topic for public observation. So why do they need to tell us? I'm for a strict "don't ask, don't tell" policy--I won't ask, and you won't tell, and we'll get along just fine.

No comments: